[Tagging] Bus rapid transit: service=bus vs service=busway vs no service tag

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:00:14 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:49 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's one from Australia, that was done slightly differently https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25843306#map=16/-27.5418/153.0652
>
> This is on it's own roadway, completely separate to the nearby motorway.
>
> Hope that helps?

I'm not sure. highway=unclassified is usually seen as some sort of
"quaternary" [1], so it seems odd to me that such a way would be
usually closed to the public and wouldn't interact with the street
hierarchy as a collector/distributor would. Also, if
function/hierarchy is ignored and only "importance" is considered,
then BRTs would need to have much higher class since they are usually
very busy carrying lots of passengers (some approach the efficiency of
subways) and are very well known by people from the same city that
live far away from those corridors. To their eyes, they are at least
as relevant as highway=tertiary and usually as relevant as
highway=secondary.

On the other hand, this type of way is in fact conceptually closer to
highway=bus_guideway, with the only difference that the buses are not
autonomously guided.

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-February/043162.html

--
Fernando Trebien