[Tagging] Requiring area=yes with barrier=wall, barrier=hedge and other usually linear features when mapped as an area`1

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 13 09:19:44 UTC 2019

On 13/04/2019 01:37, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Example: I'm considering using the tag "area=yes" to check if a
> barrier should be rendered as an area. Right now "barrier=hedge" is
> rendered as an area in the Openstreetmap-carto if it is imported as a
> polygon. This happens for all closed ways that are tagged "area=yes",
> but it also happens if the closed way is tagged with both
> "barrier=hedge" and "landuse" or "natural" or "amenity", because these
> keys are normally imported as areas.
>
> It's not ideal to map 2 different features using the same way, but it
> happens commonly.

Mapping two features with the same way seem highly efficient.
That OSM-Carto's software is unable to deal with it, is a long-standing
weakness & should be rewritten to solve it. However, regrettably those
involved in the project seem to like using the software's shortcomings
as an excuse not to sort out problems, so I don't see that happening any
time soon.

DaveF