[Tagging] Subtag for place=locality?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:13:51 UTC 2019

The definition of archipelago (borrowed from wikipedia): "also known
as an island group or island chain: a named chain, cluster or group of
closely related islands."

A "group" usually has more than 2 members, but I can't think of an
objective cut-off point above 2 or 3. If "three's a crowd" it's also a
group, no?

So I think it's reasonable for mappers using place=archipelago to
describe a group of as few as 2 or 3 islands.

Similarly, if you use a tag like "natural=lake_group" to describe
named groups of interconnected lakes, this could be used for as few as
2 or 3 lakes, or as many as hundreds.

Using place=locality wouldn't work in this situation, since it's used
on a single node, and this is not helpful for describing 2 islands.