[Tagging] Subtag for place=locality?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 13:08:22 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 16. Apr 2019, at 09:13, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A "group" usually has more than 2 members, but I can't think of an
> objective cut-off point above 2 or 3. If "three's a crowd" it's also a
> group, no?
>
> So I think it's reasonable for mappers using place=archipelago to
> describe a group of as few as 2 or 3 islands.
>
> Similarly, if you use a tag like "natural=lake_group" to describe
> named groups of interconnected lakes, this could be used for as few as
> 2 or 3 lakes, or as many as hundreds.

the group relation requires at least 2 objects:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Group_Relation

It may not be absolutely typical natural language to speak of a group of two, but proposing also a pair relation seemed overkill ;-) and a group of three is fine.

You would not need to specify whether it is a group of trees, lakes or islands, because it should be implicit through the members, but of course you could add tags like natural=archipelago if it makes sense to you.

Cheers, Martin