[Tagging] Stop the large feature madness (was: Tag for a plateau or tableland?)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 23:59:24 UTC 2019

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 at 07:26, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 April 2019, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> > > And how do you verifiably determine if two things are part of the
> > > same physical object?
>
> But as already hinted i am not sure if the Drake Passage is something i
> would consider mappable in OSM based on local knowledge.

But, without wishing to sound facetious, how do we then have coastlines for
Eurasia, Greenland & Antarctica mapped?

*Nobody* has "local knowledge" of the full coastline of any of them, & for
Greenland & Antarctica, what is mapped - the ice cap, which is constantly
moving, or the deep underlying rock? Should we erase them off the map as
they're not "verifiable"?

Thanks

Graeme