[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

石野貴之 yumean1119 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 01:55:38 UTC 2019

Thank you for the speedy reply!

2019年4月21日(日) 9:13 Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:

> On 21/04/19 05:31, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 at 19:52, 石野貴之 <yumean1119 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I don't know the reason why we should not use amenity=* too much. If you
>> have time, please let me know.
>>
>> Lack of specificity.  It's nice to be able to categorize things.
>

> I also feel it great if we can categorize things in a more sophisticated
way.

However, tags like amenity=school and amenity=university are so widely used
that upward compatibility would be lost
after changing them into education=school and education=university.

We have a great deal of needs in distinguishing unofficial educational
facilities such as cram schools, vocational training centers and cooking
classes
from official educational ones(schools,universities,...). Also, there will
be a positive effect if we can separate them from facilities which should
be
office=educational_institute and cannnot be used by students(like
educational comittees, headquarter offices for educational companies and so
on).

I think that our discussion about these tagging schemes is in very slow
progress. In my opinion, a proposal on a new tag like
amenity=educational_services
is more effective rather than shifting to educational=* tagging schemes.

Takayuki Ishino
yumean1119 at gmail.com