[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 23:46:31 UTC 2019

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 23:42, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

This helps mappers find similar things all under the one key.
> If highways were placed under amenity so
> amenity=motorway/secondary/primary/residential etc it would make mapping
> harder not easier.

It certainly makes overpass turbo queries a lot simpler and more intuitive
if we can group all
education facilities under education rather than under amenity.  Typing
"education=*" is shorter
than "amenity=school or amenity=university".  And won't trip you up if you
forget that you also
needed to query for amenity=college, etc.  We did it for healthcare, we can
do it for education.

In the short-term it means even more complex queries to find educational
establishments because
both sets of tags will be in use.  However, if we have a 1:1 correspondence
(amenity=school ->
education=school) then a bulk edit is technically possible and maybe even
politically possible.

Otherwise let's get rid of amenity=* by tagging EVERYTHING as thing=*.
It's the logical next step
after using amenity any time we can't think of a better tag.

--
Paul