[Tagging] Rethinking Map Features

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 22:06:32 UTC 2019

The biggest issue with using Lua/Server side scripting with large lists is
that every single data item used on a wiki page requires a separate SQL
query (or even multiple ones), due to how mediawiki + wikibase is
implemented.  On the other hand, relying on TagInfo has some shortcomings -
TagInfo does not (yet) understand data items, relying on its own wiki page
parser, it is very fixed in a way it can present information, and every
wiki page view also uses makes 1 or more external call to taginfo (higher
chance of something going down).

There is a popular middle ground that can solve it for us -- very flexible,
highly performant, uses a common data source (data items), and relies on a
single system.  Essentially it is a bot-updated wiki markup:

* an editor adds a special template at the top of a wiki page, where they
specify a SPARQL query for the data they want - i.e. "find all
label+description+image of data items, whose type is a 'tag' and whose key
is 'denomination'".  A bot would run that query on occasion (e.g. once a
day), and append query results to that same page after the template.  Thus,
the result becomes a regular wiki markup, without any significant server
costs.  See https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Template:Wikidata_list

The PROs:
* The bot can run at any moment, by anyone, to update the data
* In the worst case of a bot completely dying, wiki markup could be edited
by hand until the bot is fixed
* very flexible - a complex query could get any data needed for the output,
and the output is templated to show in any kind of a list/table format.

CONs:
* every list update is essentially a wiki page edit, slowly increasing
history. This is not that big of a deal because size wise the growth is
small and has very little performance impact, plus it makes it possible to
track changes with time.