[Tagging] Bicycle kitchens, community centres that offer bicycle repairs etc

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 19:36:51 UTC 2019

Hi,
I wonder how I should tag bicycle shops that are not shops in the traditional "buy our products" sense.
A community-centre that is also offers bicycle repairs / is a bicycle repair shop.Or a bicycle "shop"  that primarily focuses on refurbishing disused bikes.Or a community-centre or similar that provides job training for various groups, and such training happens through running a bicycle repair service for the public.

I have found a few such bicycle repair and maintenance "shops" on OSM. These are the searches I have used in overpass-turbo.eu:

(shop=bicycle or service:bicycle:repair=yes)  and ownership=private_nonprofitorcommunity_centre=bicycle_maintenanceorservice:bicycle:repair=yes  and amenity=community_centre

Many of those that I described, to my eperience do not offer Do-it-yourself (more on DIY  below).
They still are something else than your "ordinary"  bikeshop, and I think that is significant to reflect in tagging.
So I wonder how best to tag those.  My experience is that most of them are non-profit.

My preliminary conclusion is to use this on the nodes I have mapped in Oslo and elsewhere in Norway:      shop=bicycle      service:bicycle:repair=yes
      ownership=private_nonprofit      (or ownership=public_nonprofit)

Some additinional thoughts :
A.
If the place is a Do-it-yourself shop it should be tagged as such.  Searching for this tag and value I see the pair has been used quite a lot.  For example for bicycle kitchens.     service:bicycle:dyi=yes.

B. Tagging primarily as a community centre?
Some might suggest to use amenity=community_centre combined with        community_centre=bicycle_maintenance

But then the community centre feature will overshadow the bikeshop aspect. (And in current renderings the place would not pop up as a place where you can fix your bicycle/tricycle)
I would like to have it the other way around, that is to emphasise the service offered to the public, rather than type of establishment.
Is it OK to use         community_centre=bicycle_maintenancetogether with       shop=bicycle ?

Any other comments? Could a single "freshly invented" value do the trick like       service:bicycle:repair=work_training
The downside is that if searching for the value =yes, those nodes/ways/relations are not found.

Regards / Kveðja / Hilsen Morten Lange

P.S
Bicycle kitchens and bicycle librarier are somewhat different animals.
Searching the web for bicycle kitchen, bicycle library etc turns up quite a few references.
But I could not find them on OSM.That is until I specifically searched in overpass-turbo for

    shop=bicycle and service:bicycle:diy=yes

Rome, Paris and Berlin are virtually peppered.

And for the case of the bicycle library .....Would this be a possibe way to tag them       service:bicycle:rental=library
?
-- Morten Lange, Oslo