[Tagging] Use of tag "import=yes" on objects, not changesets?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 17:43:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 17:27, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The decision to use the import=yes tag wasn't mine nor that of other
> experienced Thailand mappers. The Facebook crew "invented" this use, for
> whatever internal reason(s)of their own and we local mappers simply went
> along with it because we were desperate for a method with which to check
> their work.

If Joseph was right that Facebook used AI on the aerial imagery then I'd
say it does meet some
of the criteria for an import unless the results were first verified by
humans.  And since it
sounds like Facebook dumped the unverified AI output into OSM for humans to
check, then
import=yes doesn't sound unreasonable (although it might have been better
as a changeset
tag rather than an object tag).  Would something like AI_assisted have been
better?  Maybe.
Would a changeset tag have been better?  Maybe.  Is there any point locking
the stable door
now the horse has bolted?  No.  Can we persuade Facebook to do it any
differently in the
future?  I have my doubts, and I expect Facebook horses will keep bolting
because they
never lock the stable doors.

--
Paul