[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 18:34:40 UTC 2019

I'm sure the hierarchy
trunk/primary/secondary/tertiary/<something_else>/residential with a side
of service types is general enough that all countries can map their own
system to it. I feel no need to force any country's own system upon any
other country, or to make it the same all over the world.

If mapping tools map "dunno" to highway=road and <something_else> to
highway=unclassified, I would applaud that. If renderers would consider
mapping quaternary same as unclassified, I would applaud that. If this list
could reach consensus for this preferred tagging and some commitment to
getting it straight in a few OSM-significant countries, I'm sure renderers,
mapping tools and checking tools will consider implementing it.

Vr gr Peter Elderson