[Tagging] tag templates in the wiki

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 16:02:43 UTC 2019

> Is it now unavoidable that the info box content on tag definition
> pages in the wiki comes from the database? Is there consensus that the
> higher complexity to edit it is less important than the features we
> gain from it

I don't think it's unavoidable - presumably you can just ignore the
wikidata stuff and carry on as before?

For example, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:verge is an in-use
tag that has not wikidata entry, does not need one and that page is
useful despite that.

I'm concerned that some wikidata entries are just plain wrong -
especially in places where OSM's use of a word doesn't match the normal
English (any English - English, American, Hiberno-, etc.) usage of that
word.  Examples include
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dcity (though there
wikidata's English description at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q515
"large and permanent human settlement by size of its inhabitants" adds
extra comedy), https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwood
and https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dforest which both
link to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4421 .  In each of these cases
all nuance of the usage of the OSM tag is lost.

Best Regards,

Andy