[Tagging] Definition of a Beach

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Aug 15 04:16:45 UTC 2019

15 Aug 2019, 03:43 by joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com:

> For context: yesterday Mateusz Konieczny edited the description of
> natural=beach on the Landuse page and commented that "beach is not
> always unvegetated and concrete along shore is not a beach", and then
> I used his new description on the natural=beach page.

My edit was triggered by https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Landuse&diff=prev&oldid=1889234 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Landuse&diff=prev&oldid=1889234>
edit that claimed that beach is well defined by
"Unvegetated strip of land at the edge of water."

Main problem with such definition is that strip of concrete/asphalt along shore
is not a beach.

I thought about dunes when I claimed that "beach is not
always unvegetated" but now I see that dunes are not considered as part of the beach.
I copied definition from Wikipedia as it seemed far better as it managed to
exclude stuff like
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sea_defences_(21467789266).jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sea_defences_(21467789266).jpg>

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mole_in_Funchal,_Ponta_do_Garajau,_statue_of_Cristo_Rei_and_Desertas_Islands._Madeira,_Portugal.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mole_in_Funchal,_Ponta_do_Garajau,_statue_of_Cristo_Rei_and_Desertas_Islands._Madeira,_Portugal.jpg>

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Concrete_defences_by_the_Saxon_Shore_way_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1240179.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Concrete_defences_by_the_Saxon_Shore_way_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1240179.jpg>

Maybe copying previous definition from natural=beach would be preferable.

> Re: > "To me it does not have plants growing on it - so unvegetated."
>
> I agree that beaches generally don't have surface plants like grass -
> this can be found in wind-formed sand dunes next to some beaches,
> which I would map as natural=sand or natural=dune + surface=grass if
> relevant.
>
> However, there are many beaches shaded by coconut palms and other
> spreading or leaning trees here in the rainy tropics - the canopy
> would extend out over the high tide water line, so the leaves cover a
> significant part of the beach (5 or even 10 meters), and most mappers
> put the boundary of natural=wood at the end of the canopy. So I don't
> know if mentioning "un-vegetated" in the description is necessary.

So it seems that maybe I managed to improve it, but purely by accident.

Overall I am fine also with older definition from natural=beach, page but I strongly
oppose defining beaches as "Unvegetated strip of land at the edge of water."