[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 11:03:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 02:09, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/08/19 09:37, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> Around the outskirts of my town there are also several footpaths which, at
> least in part, go
> across fields.  Again, not walking routes, just short cuts.  They could
> probably be incorporated
> into walking routes but, as far as I know, nobody has done so.
>
> Are these 'signed' routes? If not then they fail that test for a 'route'.

Depends what you mean by "signed route."  Public footpaths across fields
usually have
a fingerpost with an icon of a walking man, or the words "public footpath"
or both.
Bridleways usually have a fingerpost with an icon of somebody riding a
horse.  There
may be waymarkers where the route deviates and isn't obvious.  Actually,
modern
signage at the start of a footpath is a waymark rather than a finger post.
It is rare
for a public footpath sign to state a destination.  Oh, and usage is not
harmonized
between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Do hiking and walking routes have to have explicit signage?  I know of some
walks
that do not.  The group "Cilgerran Walkers are Welcome" have documented
three of
their walks on the intertoobz and say they're going to document more.
There is a map
of all the walks on a notice board in the village.  Copyright reasons mean
I have mapped
only one of those walks, where one of the members and I sat down at a
public computer
and mapped it from her memory (she has a far better memory for details than
I do).
The group have been considering letting me map the rest of the routes for
over a year now,
and still can't decide.  The one route I mapped does not have any signage
identifying
it, other than public footpath signs in a few places.  See
http://walkingcilgerran.btck.co.uk/Walksinthearea

> Yes.. 'something better' is always useful. I do like the footwear as a
> guide, but not as a rule.

This is OSM.  There are no rules.  Even so, I have no objection to
explicitly stating it's a
rule of thumb rather than a hard rule.

In any case, the footwear thing baffles me.  Several years ago I worked at
a place where,
after I got off the bus, I had a walk of about a mile to get there.  It was
an unclassified road,
but it had an asphalt surface and was free from potholes.  No
pavement/causeway/
sidewalk.  One of my cow-orkers said I ought to get some walking shoes to
walk
along it.  I looked down and concluded I must have bought "standing around"
shoes
by mistake and they were not intended for walking in.  My bad.

--
Paul