[Tagging] Use bbq=yes/no or barbecue_grill=yes/no with campsites?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 23:27:43 UTC 2019

OK, reopening this thread: previously there were 2 or 3 people
initially in favor of using bbq=yes (already used about 200 times) to
specify that "there is a permanently installed barbecue grill at this
feature", for use on picnic sites and campsites.

However, later there were 2 people who preferred the tag
barbecue_grill=yes (slightly more common still), because it was
clearer that this is the presence of a grill, not permission to bring
your own grill.

It was noted that amenity=bbq has sometimes been used in both ways:
usually to specify that there is a bbq grill at the location, but also
sometimes for places where you are allowed to bbq with your own grill.

Any more opinions on this? I would like to be able to propose a tag as
part of https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Campsite_properties
- or perhaps it should be a separate proposale, since this is one of
the tags that does not yet have a clear consensus?

Joseph