[Tagging] Parking spaces for car charging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 22:52:09 UTC 2019

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 23:35, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 23:53, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So it looks like, for the charging spaces, amenity=parking_space +
>> access:<invent-appropriate-role>=<access value> is the way
>> to go.
>>

> A bit messy, but how about
> amenity=parking_space + access=vehicle_charging_only

Big problem right there: you're expanding on the access tag.  Some on this
list will
take great exception to that.  Some editors will take even greater
exception to it as
they populate drop-downs from the wiki, so when you map a road the access
drop-down
will include yes, no, private, vehicle_charging_only.  Which is why the
parking_space
proposal invented access:<role>.  And even that is pushing things, a little.

car_charging=yes/no
> truck_charging=yes/no
> hgv_charging=yes/no

And this will re-open hostilities in a different argument about the
undesirability of having all
those different binary tags instead of charging=car|truck|hgv.  Or was it
the other way
around that was undesirable?  I forget now.

> so you could specify that this space is for car charging only, or hgv only
> (although I don't think buses, trucks & HGVs would be put on charge while
> doing deliveries at the supermarket!)

The one I want to map is in a supermarket car park and the parking spaces
are only big
enough for a car.  But larger vehicles also use that car park, with RVs
being frequent and
the UK intends to have all motor vehicles be electric at some future date.
Eventually
the supermarket will have a few charging points with spaces that can accept
RVs.
Supermarket car parks may never cater to HGVs but other places will have
to, given the range
of electric vehicles.  I'd prefer it if we don't come up with something
that only works for cars
and a few years down the line wish we'd done it differently because we now
have to handle
other types of vehicle.

--
Paul