[Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of farm buildings (stables)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 12:40:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 13:05, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pig ark:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4wTc79jY8

I wish you hadn't said that.  It forced me to do some googling.

Apparently, a pig sty isn't necessarily a building but is more usually an
enclosure.
Essentially it's a synonym for a pig pen.  I always thought a pig sty was a
building.
OSM wiki thinks a pig sty is a building.  It's not.  Which complicates
matters, at
least to the extent that we'll probably have to accept that OSM uses sty to
mean a building housing pigs and not an enclosure for pigs.

Further complication: the buildings used to confine pigs in small stalls
are piggeries
(piggery has a few usages according to taginfo).

Nederland has "varkensflats" ie multi-storey "appartment buildings" for
> pigs.  Wouldn't know a proper term for that in English though. I've seen it
> translated as "pig tower",

I've never even heard of those and have no idea what the English term is,
or even if there
is one.  According to google translate, it's "pig flats," but I suspect
it's being literal rather
than giving the equivalent English term.  I'd probably map it as
building=piggery +
levels=n.

> but that term googles to https://images.app.goo.gl/WMeG3kychr7kokw7A

:)

We use "stal" (~stable) for various, but not all farm animals. I think they
> need to have an average of 4 limbs reaching from the body to the ground, in
> order to live in a 'stal'. Fish and poultry are excluded.

Sounds about right for the original English meaning of stable.

To compensate, teenagers are granted the right to live in a "stal" as long
> as their brain is rewiring for adulthood.

Here we would use pigsty rather than stable. :)

--
Paul