[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 16:13:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 16:50, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've noticed a potential conflict with protection degrees defined in IEC
> 60529 norm (IP-XY numbers seen on many electronic appliances), also called
> "protection class".

"Protection class" is something of a misnomer when it comes to IEC 60529,
since it specifies
a level of ingress protection (hence the "I" and "P" in the designation)
against water and
dust.  It does, as a side-effect, have some bearing on the possibility of
contact of dangerous
parts by fingers, but that is largely incidental.  And while you may have
seen it referred to
as "protection class" it seems more common to refer to it as "ingress
protection class."

--
Paul