[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 16:43:20 UTC 2019

Le mer. 28 août 2019 à 18:15, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> "Protection class" is something of a misnomer when it comes to IEC 60529,
> since it specifies
> a level of ingress protection (hence the "I" and "P" in the designation)
> against water and
> dust.  It does, as a side-effect, have some bearing on the possibility of
> contact of dangerous
> parts by fingers, but that is largely incidental.  And while you may have
> seen it referred to
> as "protection class" it seems more common to refer to it as "ingress
> protection class."

Hi Paul,
As both the topic of the proposal and the IP norm are approximately at the
same semantic distance of "protection class" term, that's why I recommend
to move to "environment_protection=*" (or something like this) to be more
focused on what is actually described.
IP stands for International Protection, which indeed consist in limiting
ingress of foreign object or water in a given enclosure.

Even if protection class is a misnomer, I find risky to use it as this for
a completely different topic, that's my 2 cts.
All the best

François