[Tagging] How to tag flood prone points and areas?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 10:50:15 UTC 2019

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 at 08:30, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But it's also questionable if entering 10 year or 100 year flood zones
> (places that statistically have a 10% or 1% chance of flooding during
> a 12 month period) into OSM is a good idea. The OSM database is based
> on individual mappers, usually volunteers, entering data based on what
> they can see when they visit a place, or what they can see on aerial
> imagery. It would be difficult for individual mappers to confirm if a
> 10 or 100 year floodplain was entered incorrectly.

Verifiability is a problem.  I'm a little laxer than some, so if copyright
permitted I might
accept official government documents as sources.  Probably not, in this
particular
case, but maybe.  But it's not going to render, anyway, which would make it
useful only
to those who know how to use overpass-turbo.

Maybe uMap is the way to go for this.  Or a CSV file of co-ordinates fed
through a bit
of programming to produce a web page using Leaflet.  Either way would give
a slippy
map with pins which can display text such as risk level.

--
Paul