[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Leisure=Skatepark

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Dec 11 01:01:54 UTC 2019

On 09.12.2019 19:09, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 17:31, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>> wrote:
>
>     I'd prefer to keep it leisure=pitch, avoiding top-level tag fragmentation. Refinements about the
>     sport definition can appear in the sport=* subtagging.
>
> I can understand that viewpoint.  I'm not sure that there is any technical merit, in terms of db
> queries, to it, other than making life easier for somebody who wants to find all types of sporting
> activity in a given area.  Where it does cause problems is for people using the query tool (or
> equivalent in things like maps.me <http://maps.me>) being confused by tennis pitches, shooting
> pitches, and
> the like.  It's far from the only tagging infelicity we have, and we'll never be able to fix it because
> of existing usage, but I see no reason to extend the confusion.

I'd say that your query tool has to be improved. Tagging in OSM is done in key/value pairs,
and using elements from natural language for them is just to slightly improve human readability.
Sure there are some deviations from the dictionary use of a term when used in OSM, but tools like
presets in editors can cope with it.

tom