[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Leisure=Skatepark

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 01:36:54 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 01:03, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> On 09.12.2019 19:09, Paul Allen wrote:
> >  Where it does cause problems is for people using the query tool (or
> > equivalent in things like maps.me <http://maps.me>) being confused by
> tennis pitches, shooting
> > pitches, andthe like.
>

> I'd say that your query tool has to be improved.

It's not MY query tool.  It's the query tool built into the standard map.
It returns tags which do
not match natural language, rather than the meanings they have to mappers.
So a query on
a holiday cottage shows a chalet:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/517689668
A query on a bowling green shows a sports pitch
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/217882225#map=18/52.08830/-4.65389 etc.

Not a problem for editors.  They translate from natural language (holiday
cottage, bowling green)
to badly-named tags (chalet, pitch).  A problem for consumers.  And not
just a problem with
the standard query tool but with maps.me and anything else that responds to
a request for
more detail by exposing raw tags.

We can't fix widely-used tags (unless there is an exact one-to-one mapping,
and even then
we probably won't do it).  We can fix query tools, but probably won't fix
all of them or even some
of the main ones.  We CAN avoid adding to the confusion by not forcing
square pegs into
round holes.

--
Paul