[Tagging] Roundtrip and closed loop in relations

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 21:14:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 21:45, Francesco Ansanelli <francians at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Il gio 19 dic 2019, 21:28 Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> The current usage is that, "Use roundtrip=yes to indicate that the start
>> and finish of the route are at the same location". As in a route from Paris
>> to Milano to Frankfurt then back to Paris would be tagged as roundtrip=yes.
>> You have edited the wiki against established usage to make it become a no.
>> A word used as a key isn't perfect doesn't mean you can suddenly edit the
>> wiki to change its definition without regard of all the established usage
>> in the osm database.
>>

> The question is, current tagging respect original author intention?
> Unlucky Roundtrip change meaning between American and British English
> afaict.
> I've discussed also with another mapper and we agreed to fix wiki in order
> to avoid further misunderstandings.
>

>> 在 2019年12月20日週五 01:21,Francesco Ansanelli <francians at gmail.com> 寫道:
>>
>>> Dear Volker,
>>>
>>> I haven't change the meaning of Roundtrip, but just reworded to clarify
>>> it.
>>> Roundtrip yes is not a closed loop...
>>> Please check this discussion:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:roundtrip#loop
>>>
>> Francesco,
you have changed the meaning of the tag from inluding the possibility of a
loop to exluding it. And I am aware of a number of (cycling) routes that
are loops and that are tagged with roundtrip=yes accordng to the previous
version of the wiki.
Please revert the wiki.

Furthermore with your new defintion practially or at least many cycle
routes are roundrip routes even though everyone would consdere them as
linear routes. Nearly all "linear" bicycle routes to which I contributed
can be ridden as roundtrip in the sense that they are signposted in both
directions, and care has been taken in those sections where the forward and
the backward route are different by using the foreward|backward roles. The
(fewer) routes with loop geometry as well can be ridden in either
direction.

Volker