[Tagging] StreetComplete 10 / foot=yes on residential

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:44:39 UTC 2019

... and just to make this even trickier:
The access tag is (in most cases) about legal access, and not about
is-it-a-good-idea-to-route-a-pedestrian-along-this-road access.
That has to be underlined. In my part of the world most roads, even with a
lot of traffic and without sidewalk are legally open to pedestrians, but if
they take the road their chance of survival is low.
Add to the mix that, in my part of the world, almost all roads have no
sidewalk tag nor separate parallel footways, even if these are present.
I don't think it's a good idea to add foot=yes to underline what is already
the default. It would make more sense to tag foot=use_sidepath for those
cases where there is a sidewalk *and* pedestrians a legally required to use
it, and use, obviously, foot=no for those cases where there it is against
the law to walk on the street (for roads where the default is foot=yes)