[Tagging] Proposal - Key:access=restricted

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sat Feb 23 19:33:50 UTC 2019

Reposting to mailing list, after henkevdb sent to my personal email

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 14:16, henkevdb <mail at henkevdb.be> wrote:
> watercourses ( in Belgium anyway) are (mostly) open to the 'general
> public', so , access=no (with description ; "No access for the general
> public.") is not good then

Don't set general access tag then, and set only what is restricted.
motor_vehicle=private?

> ... also, access=private is not good because
> of description ; "Only with individual permission" ...

What is the problem with this description? Remember that we're tagging
for the general case. If there is an natural emergency and an army
vehicle needs to use it, motor_vehicle wouldn't stop them, and we
shouldn't tag for it.

> also this 'case'
> is better 'suitable' with access=restricted ->
> https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=736136#p736136

access=no, and don't tag highly exceptional uses IMO

Otherwise did you also change the maxheight tag because of the guy
raising the one cable in the photo?
Would you retag a cycleway to exceptional_traffic=emergency if you see
a firefighting vehicle standing on it one day while responding to a
fire?

--Jarek