[Tagging] Mistagging footways as highway=pedestrian

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:10:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 17:50, Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Similar to that is the difference between path [1] and track [2]. I've
> seen some people argue that the difference is simply width, but the
> wiki allows tagging wide ways as path. The actual difference between
> them is purpose and function.

And possibly law.  Or at least the intentions of the owner of the way.
Vehicular access may be
prohibited by law, even if it's physically possible.  Or it may be
restricted to service vehicles
supplying shops along the way (do we have an access value for that?) or at
certain times of
day.  Even if the restrictions are not legal they may be civil: "This is
mine and I only permit
pedestrians."

Quite a few town centres have former roads which are now pedestrian
precincts.  Some of which
allow vehicles at certain times of day to resupply shops.

The real world is messy.  Life would be much simpler if we could make it
conform to our
tagging schemes instead of having to come up with tags that describe
reality.

--
Paul