[Tagging] Allotments plot / lot tagging and ref?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 13:07:45 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 12:47, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> I am wondering about the practical verifiability of such numbers.  I
> mean in OSM we do not map internal numbering systems of organizations
> for their infrastructure if those are not manifested in the form of
> signs visible to the outside observer.

They are verifiable by asking the organization in charge of the allotments,
as I initially did
when mapping some allotments.  Or there may be a hand-drawn map in the
window of a hut
on the allotments, as I found when I later went up to survey the place.

There are situations where signage is not a requirement for mapping.
There are several named
bridges in my area, where the names are shown on OS OpendData StreetView
(which we are
allowed to use and is avaiable as background imagery) but which do not have
signs.

I find your "internal numbering systems of organizations" argument a little
weak.  I cannot, in
general, walk into a private company and wander around unaccompanied, so
knowiung their
numbering or rooms is not useful.  I can wander around my local
allotments.  I can apply for an
allotment and be told that plots 4 and 7 are available and, if they are
shown on a map, I can
wander around to inspect them without needing a guide.

> If plot numbers are signed the question is why these are not considered
> addresses.

How about because addr:housenumber makes little sense in the context of an
allotment plot?
How about because allotments do not have postcodes?  How about because
addresses are
generally a means of figuring out where to deliver physical mail and
allotments are not on
postal delivery routes?  Even addr:unit would be stretching the definition
of unit past its breaking
point.

--
Paul