[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:01:22 UTC 2019

Sorry if I was not clear.

This example matches the basic description you gave. It is not just a
crossing, there is more: a guidepost, a register, i.e. visiblty designated,
and it is listed and customary.

Nothing in the basic description is specific for TOPs.

With "Excludes ... " I thought of the suggestion by someone on this list
that all crossings could be marked as trailheads because you can start a
route at any crossing.

Op vr 11 jan. 2019 om 15:46 schreef Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:

> On 1/11/19 2:43 AM, Peter Elderson wrote:
> > This covers all trailheads mapped worldwide so far, and excludes
> > locations where a trail just crosses a road.
>
> Here we go again.
>
> Some of the trailheads I've used are exactly that. One of those that I
> can recall in particular is an important trailhead. If you start away
> from it, it will be 60 km before you reach the next road that a car can
> drive on, and another 25 to reach a town where you can get supplies or
> assistance. If I recall correctly (it's about three years since I was up
> that way) all there is at the trailhead is a guidepost (there's a
> register book, but it's in the woods maybe 400 m to discourage
> vandalism). If you want to park a car, you do that at a county
> maintenance garage that's about half a km away on the highway.
>
> And yes, this *is* a customary and designated place for starting/ending
> a trip It's a 220 km trail, so most hikers don't do it in one shot. It's
> a wilderness trail, so it simply doesn't have a lot of facilities other
> than at its endpoints. A trailhead on that trail is simply any place
> with highway access - and I can count them on my fingers, including a
> couple that have access trails that aren't the main trail (maybe about a
> 5 km trip to get to the road from the main trail) and another couple
> that cross 4WD-only roads.
>
> There's no government agency designating the trailheads. The trail is
> maintained by a hiking club, with the cooperation of the state
> Department of Environmental Conservation. (The maintenance is haphazard,
> as you'd expect on a trail that remote. That's part of the experience.)
> The trailheads, however, are listed in guidebooks, and appear in a
> shapefile that I get from the DEC that describes points of interest on
> state-owned land. (I do *not* import that file because of data quality
> issues.)
>
> Despite your repeated denials, you're continuing to try to invent a set
> of definitions that, at least in NL, will encompass all TOPs and nothing
> else. If that's your aim, then invent a tag for TOP and use it,

Vr gr Peter Elderson