[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

EthnicFood IsGreat ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:56:02 UTC 2019

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:04:23 +0700
> From: Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
> To: Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
> Cc: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Trailhead tagging
>

> Your proposal looks good. I would vote "yes" on it.
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 4:28 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I made a concept wiki page:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:trailhead
>> I think it fits the outcome of this discussion. If not, feel free to
>> comment.
>>
>> I don't want to change the earlier proposal, it is a step further than my
>> concept tagging page which just documents existing practice.
>>

>> Vr gr Peter Elderson
>>

>> Op di 15 jan. 2019 om 00:41 schreef Dave Swarthout <
>> daveswarthout at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Kevin said:
>>> I'm therefore going to stick with 'designated or customary place to
>>> begin or end a trip on a trail.'
>>>
>>> Me too. I've mapped many such trailheads in Alaska and almost everybody I
>>> know would recognize the term trailhead as meaning a point of access to a
>>> path or trail. It's fine to add other details, like parking, toilets,
>>> registration facilities, etc. separately. I haven't followed this thread
>>> carefully, so can't speak to the TOP situation fully but I do know a
>>> trailhead when I see it on a map or otherwise.
>>>
>>> Dave

>>> --
>>> Dave Swarthout
>>> Homer, Alaska
>>> Chiang Mai, Thailand
>>> Travel Blog at http://dswarthout.blogspot.com
>>>
> --
> Dave Swarthout
> Homer, Alaska
> Chiang Mai, Thailand

A lot of the trailheads I've mapped contain none of the identifiers you
mentioned in the first paragraph (shelter, pole, special design, flag,
etc.), all they have is a designated parking lot for your vehicle.  I
would like your wiki page better if you included a designated parking
area in the list of possible identifiers.

Mark