[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:53:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 21:10, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

Not rendering landuse=forestry on the default OSM map to reduce “tagging
> for the renderer” is an interesting idea. I’ll have to think about that but
> it does have some appeal.

It doesn't appeal to me.  I'd prefer it to render but in a way that differs
from landcover=trees or
natural=wood (or whatever).

1) It's time-consuming and tedious to map large areas of land used for
forestry.  Many people
won't bother if it doesn't render and either use natural=wood for the
entire extent or use only
natural=wood where there are currently trees and ignore the areas of stumps
or saplings.

2) Somebody may be happy to put the effort into outlining the area used for
forestry but may
not want to put in the additional effort to use landcover=trees (or
whatever) to show where the
trees are today (actually, where they were when the aerial imagery was
generated) because it's
changeable.  So to permit minimal mapping we need forestry to show up.

3) Terry Pratchett's *Hogfather* points out that only drawings by children
leave a white gap between
the ground and the sky.  In an ideal world (where we had finally mapped
everything) there would
be no white areas of the map.  Not rendering land used for forestry would
prevent us ever
reaching that goal.  OK, that one's a bit of a stretch. :)

--
Paul