[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:56:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 07:10, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the way forward would be to change the wiki to indicate that
> landuse=forest is deprecated due to its confused usage. Add some text to
> the page directing mappers to either landcover=trees if they are simply
> mapping the presence of trees or landuse=forestry if they are mapping an
> area used for the production of wood products (lumber, paper, etc.) that
> may or may not have trees on it a the moment.

That may be the bet way to go, as landcover=trees can cover anything from 3
trees in the middle of a roundabout, to a jungle covering 1000's of sq km,
& also natural forests as well as plantations, orchards, managed forests
etc.

> Not rendering landuse=forestry on the default OSM map to reduce “tagging
> for the renderer” is an interesting idea. I’ll have to think about that but
> it does have some appeal.

No, I think that =forestry should still be rendered, possibly by Warin's
idea of an axe in a tree trunk, to show that there are, or could be, trees
in that area. If it wasn't rendered, you'd finish up with some very
extensive areas of  blank map, frequently surrounded by trees

Thanks

Graeme