[Tagging] weight limit in short tons

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:16:21 UTC 2019

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 at 04:12, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have edited the units page to include the long ton.

For the benefit of mappers who do not understand the distinction or know
how many
pounds there are in their local ton, it would be useful to indicate that
the short ton
is part of the US customary units and the long ton part of the imperial
units.

And you really do need the hundredweight.   Because dim memories of the
past,
when I was too young to drive or take much interest in road signage, lead me
to conclude that the cwt was used for weight restrictions in the UK back
then.
And, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredweight, is still
used in
some parts of the world for that purpose.  That's the imperial cwt in
Guernsey,
but the US cwt might be in use in parts of the US.

--
Paul