[Tagging] track smoothness/quality

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:01:58 UTC 2019

Brad, re:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/agj4njek1r35vnz/2018-10-03-13.06.54r.jpg?dl=0

This shows a track that cuts across a scree slope or alluvial fan of small
boulders, cobbled and sand which appears to be eroded from the ridge above,
in a mostly dry climate.

It’s quite bumpy so a low-clearance sedan would not work, but I think I
would ride my 20-inch wheel Bike Friday across this, if weather is dry,
albeit slowly. I’m not convinced that 4wd would be required.

If the surface is really very loose so that a regular rear-wheel-drive SUV
or pickuptruck can’t make it even in dry weather, that might suggest that
the tracktype is grade4 because the surface is not sufficiently compacted?

For example, a track across a completely uncompacted scree slope or loose
shingle streambed would probablybe grade 4: even though the surface would
be mostly small rocks, since the materials are totally loose the surface
isn’t hard or compacted at all?

The difference between grade3 and grade4 is probably the least clear, since
they are both “somewhat-improved” tracks, contrast to high-quality Unpaved
grade2 and nearly unimproved grade5

Joseph