[Tagging] leisure=garden for private front/back gardens

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 08:29:47 UTC 2019

On 14/07/19 16:48, Pee Wee wrote:

> Op vr 12 jul. 2019 om 09:13 schreef Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com
> <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM Pee Wee <piewie32 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:piewie32 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Why would a private garden require a different key? Do we tag a
>     private wood / forest in a different way than one that is accessible
>     by the public? Do private parking lots get a different amenity-key ?
>     No, we refine this with additional tags.
>     This method can be applied to private gardens as well.
>
> That is a good question. I would agree with you if the k/v would be
> e.g. natural=garden. This describes what it is and not what it is used
> for. Leisure=garden does not only describe what it is (garden) but
> also what it is used for (leisure). If I look at all the other leisure
> values they give me the impression that they are meant for places one
> can go to recreate and mainly publicly accessible.

OSM maps leisure=pitch in 'private' areas - eg football fields in
stadiums and club grounds... these are not 'freely available' for all to
use.
> One could argue that you can also recreate in your own garden but
> still these private gardens are a dissonant from all the other leisure
> values.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure
"The leisure tag is for places people go in their spare time."
Nothing here says it has to be 'open to the public'.
Most people go into their garden in their spare time. So 'private
gardens' match the leisure key.