[Tagging] Are disused=yes and abandoned=yes deprecated by disused:key=value & abandoned:key=value?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:35:48 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 29. Juli 2019 um 09:26 Uhr schrieb Frederik Ramm <
frederik at remote.org>:

> Frankly, I am worried about the obsession with tag "statuses". I
> couldn't care less whether "abandoned=yes" was obsolete, deprecated, in
> use, or even voted on; "negating tags" like this is are dangerous and
> problematic and the wiki should educate people about this, full stop.

yes, generally yes, although there may be exceptions. E.g. landuse=quarry.
An abandoned or disused quarry may still be seen as a quarry by the people
living there. In this case, abandoned=yes doesn't negate the tags, it is a
qualifier about activity.

> If we explain to people why negating tags are problematic then they will
> understand and not use them; this is far better than telling them "uh-oh
> you've used a tag that is classified as a type-X tag under section Y of
> the tag classification regulations, don't do it!"

+1

By the way, it seems the wiki does not show "statuses" correctly for
historic page revisions: it shows a status (the current one?) where there
is none set in the template, and it shows statuses that haven't been in
existence when the revision was published.

Cheers,
Martin