[Tagging] Are disused=yes and abandoned=yes deprecated by disused:key=value & abandoned:key=value?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:01:10 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 13:43, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/07/2019 13:05, Paul Allen wrote:
>

> It applies to more than just quarries.  The problem is that the namespaced
> version, when
> applied to physical objects, renders them invisible (on standard carto).
>
> Please let's just stop worrying about just that one renderer...

There are other renderers to worry about, certainly.  But...

1) Not all of us have the luxury of running our own renderer which we can
customize to
match our own requirements.

2) When I look at what other renderers do in comparison to standard carto,
I find them lacking
in various different ways.  I don't think standard carto is perfect, but I
find the others a lot
worse.  Especially the commercial ones that boast how much better they are
than standard
carto, which generally put cosmetics (drop-shadowed buildings) ahead of
presenting useful
information (house names/numbers).

As already mentioned the tricky bit is working out what "disused" means for
> e.g. a quarry.  A map that wanted to show actual places where rock was
> extracted wouldn't show an inactive hole in the ground, whereas one that
> wanted to show holes in the ground would still show them.

Another map might even show the two situations differently, in some way.
So that people who
wanted only to look for active quarries could find them whilst others who
wanted to be warned
of dangerous holes in the ground in an area they intended to ramble would
be happy.

A building that isn't used for anything is still in actuality a building
> (until it falls or is knocked down), so I probably wouldn't use that tag
> personally, although there is mid-level usage in e.g. the UK:
> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/L9H .

This is where I think standard carto gets it wrong.  A disused:building=yes
ought to be rendered
as a building but a disused:amenity=pub should not be rendered as a pub.
Instead a disused:
or abandoned: prefix renders everything it is applied to invisibly. Such
things are fixable in theory,
but in practice they aren't.  The result is that mappers do what mappers
do...

--
Paul