[Tagging] lanes = 0

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:26:07 UTC 2019

Comments on the  Key:lanes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes>
page

1) Heading "Narrow roads"
The pageit proposes:

width=4
source:width=estimated
This construct is used 5k times acording to TI.
est_widh=x
is used 40k times, and hence should be mentioned at least.

Furthermore the established tag
passing_places=yes
which has its own wiki page and is used 7k times, is missing in the text

2) "Assumptions" table:

The most frequent assumptions are missing, i.e. the case no lane count
and no indication of oneway/two-way.

Also, highway=path should not have an assumed lane count, as it is
normally not suitable for car-width vehicles

3) Examples

Bicycle lanes on cycleways

Under the heading "Description" the page says
"And the following lanes should be *excluded*:
Bicycle lanes. Use the tag cycleway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway>=lane
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway%3Dlane> for those."

but, under  "Examples" the page shows a bidirectional stand-alone
cycleway with a dashed separator with "lanes=2".,
a situation which I would have tagged highway=cycleway;
oneway:bicycle=no, but wihthout lanes=x tag

4) No line markings

Under the heading "No line markings"
the proposal, which is hidden there, i.e.lane_markings
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:lane_markings&action=edit&redlink=1>=no
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:lane_markings%3Dno&action=edit&redlink=1>
opens a potential can of worms.
This tag is used 13 times in total. And there are zillions of roads
that have no markings in the real world.