[Tagging] lanes = 0

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:32:31 UTC 2019

Am Di., 30. Juli 2019 um 14:05 Uhr schrieb Jérôme Seigneuret <
jerome.seigneuret at gmail.com>:

> if lanes is about the total amount of marked "2-tracked-vehicle"-lanes (as
> it is according to my understanding), then lanes=0 means no marked lanes.
>
> No simply because 2 lanes = opposites 1 forward 1 backward marked or not.
> This a routing comportement.

maybe you just can't assume in your router that the OSM tag lanes describes
what you expect for lanes?

> You can have 2 lanes but no mark on road. This is the case in rural France
> road. Legaly,  absence of marking is permit and you need fix right position
> on road.

Sorry for being ambiguous, I was referring to the wiki definition of the
tag lanes. I agree that there can be lanes without lane markings,
observable lanes. I have to deal with the same situation in Italy.
Basically what I am doing is adding lanes=2 if there are 2 lanes, even if
they are not marked. ;-)
Interestingly, one of those roads I was thinking of, just has gotten (or
renewed) lane markings. It may often be a maintenance question, markings
being renewed in such long intervals, that there are years without markings
but then they might eventually return.

I'm even tempted sometimes to add lanes=1.5, although these cases are
better described with a width.

Cheers,
Martin