[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:46:13 UTC 2019

> - is used in significant numbers by many different people
> - has presets in different applications
> - is used by at least one “important” data user (e.g. OpenStreetMap carto,
> routing service, osmand, etc.)
> - is used on several continents and not just in a limited geographic area
> (otherwise it shouldn’t appear on the global map features list)
> - has a definition and it is (largely ) undisputed

I used to think that these were requirements for all features. but
many values of shop=, building=, office= and even some types of
barriers= have been added without discussion when they are still
rarely used.

My thought was that we could clarify that certain types of new
features can be added to the Map Features pages without meeting all
those characteristics (shops, offices) but that other types shouldn't
be added without discussion.

If you want to be strict about those standards above, there are
several dozen tags that would need to be removed from Map Features.
I'm actually ok with that option, but it seems unnecessary for values
of keys where the key itself is enough for rendering and general
classification.

Joseph