[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to > always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:48:54 UTC 2019

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 15:08, Peter Neale via Tagging
<tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Within the station there will normally be several platforms, which may be named "Platform 1", "Platform 2"... ...or "Platform A", "Platform B" etc.  These could / should be mapped and given an name tag.

Common practice is to use ref=*, not name=*, because it's the number
or letter of the platform, not its name. (This also has the advantage
that e.g. routers can translate it into other languages.)

> Whilst trains for particular destinations may NORMALLY use a certain platform, that can vary, depending on breakdowns, delays, scheduling issues, etc. so the Platforms should not be tagged with further information about the trains / route(s) using them.

I disagree. If the train normally uses the same platform, except in
some rare moments, i think it helps to know from which platform it
departs. Note that bus stops sometimes can also be displaced or even
omitted because of roadworks, breakdowns, delays etc.

Regards

Markus