[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:tourism=camp_pitch

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 03:48:26 UTC 2019

> How do you handle sites that accept both caravans and tents on different
> pitches?

I believe you may be thinking about how to choose between tourism=camp_site
vs tourism=caravan_site for a dual-use campground or campsite. I would use
camp_site if it is mostly used for tent camping and caravan_site if it is
mostly used for RVs/caravans.

This new tag is about individual pitches (British English) and can be used
for a caravan spot or a tent location.

How do you handle area within such a site that accept both caravans and
> tents?  Some
> parts of a site are for caravans only, with hard standing.  Other parts
> are just an area of
> grass where you can put a caravan or a tent.

The proposed tag tourism=camp_pitch can be used for either type: a tent
pitch or a caravan pitch.

There was a separate proposal that includes some additional tags that can
be used to specify if the camp_pitch is used for caravans or tents, but I
have not updated that proposal yet:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:camp_pitch

If tourism=camp_pitch is approved, we can then consider which new
attributes or subtypes are needed.