[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - Line attachments

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:31:30 UTC 2019

Hi all

Following the pretty long discussion occurred in March, the proposal has
been updated again with two main improvements :
* Moved line_attachment=shackle to pulley since shackle was not used in a
proper sense.
* Improved examples, especially for complex configurations for which
parenthesis are used consistently with what is done for highway lanes
tagging.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lines_attachements

Despite the proposal is focused on utility networks, tagging should be
suitable for any line
Terms and concepts may be extended later to better match any further need
in a particular domain.

As climbing bolts were raised as a concern in previous discussions. The
support feature "bolt" is out of the scope of the proposal
You can use them independently as anchors or hold ropes with appropriate
pulleys (and the attachment is in the scope)
Permanent bolts would be supports similar to power=pole or power=tower for
power lines and they still need a dedicated tag to be mapped in OSM I guess.

Expect the vote to starts shortly if no further objection raise out of this
thread or Talk page.

All the best

François