[Tagging] Mismatched tag status

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 00:29:05 UTC 2019

On 11/06/19 09:41, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 00:21, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
> <mailto:yuriastrakhan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There is currently 267 key & tags on OSM wiki with mismatching
>     STATUS field, as seen in http://tinyurl.com/y62j5m5e -
>     e.g. amenity=fast_food has status=defacto in 10 languages, except
>     German where it is marked as status=in use. Clearly this is not
>     intentional, and should be the same in all languages.
>

> If everything should be the same in all languages then we only need
> one language.  Oh, you
> didn't mean everything, just certain phrases describing status.  But
> I'm fairly sure that not every
> language uses the word "approved" to mean approved, so obviously we
> need a language-
> specific translation of the term.
>
> Here's the thing.  In terms of OSM statuses, "de facto" means that the
> tag is in use.

Err I thought
'de facto' = "approved" but before the formal approval process was in place
'in use' = widely used and in large numbers, sufficient to be recognised
by renders
' undefined' = low numbers, or restricted use .. some incorrectly place
these as 'in use'

There should be a list of these ??? with their meaning. My wikifoo
deserts me. It should be easier to find..

> So you
> appear to be complaining that idiomatic German prefers not to use a
> phrase from a dead
> language to describe a tag's status as being in use.
>
> I'm not convinced you chose a good example.  Ones where the mismatch
> is between "approved"
> and "in use" are a definite mismatch which need correcting.  I'd be
> inclined to leave "in use" as
> a German synonym for "de facto" unless people who have German as a
> first language say that
> "de facto" would be acceptable.  Not all languages borrow phrases from
> Latin, and in some
> languages "de facto" is incomprehensible gibberish. Mutatis mutandis,
> of course.

scribimus indocti doctique poemata passim*
*