[Tagging] Mismatched tag status

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 10:26:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 01:35, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Paul, as a programmer, I'm sure you know the difference between a keyword
> and the text shown to the user.

I'm aware that such things can be done but not that such a mechanism was in
place for
status keywords.

German translates "inuse" as "in Benutzung", and "defacto" as "de facto" --
> so clearly both are defined.

Not every English speaker is aware of what "de facto" means or would think
to use it.  German
speakers may well be the same.

> As for definition -- Template:Description shows this:
> * inuse: the feature is in use
> * defacto: the tag is in widespread use, but no formal proposal process
> has taken place
> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Description

Fair enough.  I wouldn't have drawn such a subtle distinction myself, but
if that's what the wiki
says then it's yet another case of OSM usage not precisely matching natural
language: if
something is in widespread use then it is also in use; if something is in
use (however
narrowly) without approval then it is de facto rather than de jure.

  BTW, templates should use _keywords_, and not english/german/other text
> for the "status=" parameter.

You have persuaded me.  If those are keywords then they should match across
all translations.

--
Paul