[Tagging] Landuse=farmyard vs residential

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:18:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 03:04, John Willis via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> > On Jun 13, 2019, at 4:22 PM, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Conversion of farm buildings to residential buildings is not only
> possible, it's frequent in
> > some parts of the world.
>
> Very true, but even a house or cottage inside a working farmyard would
> still be on a landuse mapped as a farmyard.

That's how I've handled it.

The building may no longer be =shed or farm_auxiliary,

I think you will find there is some dispute over that.  Some people would
insist that the building is
still a farm_auxiliary or cowshed or stable because building=* is meant to
describe physical
characteristics not usage.  I'm not a purist on the matter, but when I read
that a holiday cottage
is a converted stable, building=stable seems natural.

> but unless the activity of the farm ceases (and becomes merely a
> residential living area or a commercial resort), I think it would still be
> on a landuse=farmyard.

I'd generally agree.  If you can have tractors and muck-spreaders going
past your window all
day long, it's still a farmyard.  One exception I made is where part of the
farmyard has been
sold off with walls/fencing erected to separate it and each chunk of land
having its own
driveway.  In that particular case the split-off land has two holiday
cottages run by different
individuals than the farmer who has his own holiday cottage in a converted
building in the
farmyard.

--
Paul