[Tagging] Deprecation of non-approved values for diplomatic=?

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:49:11 UTC 2019

Le 14.06.19 à 15:10, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> we should be very reluctant to mark tags as deprecated (i.e. it
> should happen after their usage significantly dropped

in French we say "c'est le chat qui se mord la queue"
tag use changes little as long as presets do not change.
presets sometimes don't change as long as the tag usage doesn't change

having a dual tag for the same meaning is a horror
- each datause must test both if they want to have all the data
- each contributor must add the 2 tags if he wants it to be used
by everyone
- each deletion of one of the 2 tags on an object is ambiguous: did the
contributor mean that the attribute is deleted but forgot to delete the
2nd or did he want to delete the tag he doesn't like ?
- somes publishers implement distributed mass publishing rules hidden
in the real changes of contributors.

I think the proposals for a new tag should clearly say:
- add such tag
- edit the old tag description to point the new tag
- write to editors to adapt presets
- propose a mecanical edit, if necessary by splitting it up
to avoid a global opponent blocking everything
- propose the depreciation of the old tag

Regards,
Marc