[Tagging] Deprecation of non-approved values for diplomatic=?

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 19:26:48 UTC 2019

The editor presets are already changed (so any modification or new creation
of embassy, consulate or liaison use the new tagging scheme). The number of
diplomatic=* tag compared to the number of office=* tag is due to the fact
that the "diplomatic"=* tag was already existing but used slightly
differently and without any consensus. The new scheme is just a refinement
to better represent what it is.

After the proposal was accepted, the old main tag amenity=embassy was added
to the deprecated value. But it didn't mention diplomatic values used as it
was never properly referenced anywhere at this time ! ;-)
As usual, we don't massively change the objects tagged with a deprecated
value, as we need an human review to check whether it is still correct to
tag this object as embassy or consulate...
So it will change with time and become more and more prevalent, but it
takes time. We could always makes some sort of challenge by country to
check the embassy/consulate/... to speed things up. And I suppose that
adding the note on the wiki for diplomatic values will help and reflect
what is already applied in editor presets ?!