[Tagging] wheelchair = hiking

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Wed Jun 19 08:22:51 UTC 2019

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:57:25 -0700
Nick Bolten <nbolten at gmail.com> wrote:

> > IMO wheelchair=yes means accessible for most basic wheelchairs.
>
> Yes, but it's something that is frequently difficult to estimate.

After learning that the trail from the Old Faithful viewing area to
Castle Geyser isn't considered wheelchair-accessible, I've given up on
the idea that wheelchair-accessibility is something that mere mortals
are capable of determining.  To my untrained eye, it's nearly perfect:
four meters wide, quality asphalt paving, no cross slope, and
effectively flat.  But apparently that "effectively" isn't good enough:
an elevation gain of five meters over the course of a 700-meter run is
enough to defeat a wheelchair user.

--
Mark