[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Feature Name)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 01:44:12 UTC 2019

On 20/06/19 08:55, marc marc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 19.06.19 à 22:17, Mhairi O'Hara a écrit :
>> Hello Tagging Mailing List,
> imho you request too many comment in one email,
> the thread 'll soon become unmanageable

+1

>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:staff_count:doctors
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:staff_count:nurses
> there is a difficulty in using osm for volatile data: should the value
> in osm be changed each time a staff member is on vacation? or should
> the definition of the tag be changed to say that it describes the
> average value outside of a particular event? but in this case, if the
> amenity double its staff temporarily for an event, how will the user
> know this since the average value does not take it into account ?

The data is not that volatile. Temporary staff comes in where that is necessary, usually for smaller facilities.
Larger facilities shuffle staff around as they can with larger numbers.

> for the tag itself, a more common namespace would have been
> doctors:count or doctors:avg:count (or :capacity if it's about
> the capacity)

Staff:*=* could be used in more places. So I think that is a better approach.

>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:operational_status
> amenity=toilets for a closed toilets is an exemple of bad tagging.
> see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Tag:operational_status#Shares_the_same_problems_as_the_old_styles_of_using_disused.2Fabandoned
> but the tag itself is an improvement for "not fully closed" amenity.

I would use the description key for these temporary things. Has the advantage of already implemented and infinatly variable.

>> [4]
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:health_amenity:type
> please check the approved and 10x more used
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare
> what's new/diff in your propal ? the previous propal said
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Healthcare_2.0#What_healthcare.3D.2A_is_lacking
> but you are talking about taginfo usage but nearly all of them
> have already a "more in used tag"
> you also said "speciality medical equipment", but some of them aren't
> an equipement (psychologist, dentist,...) so it's very unclear what
> you want todo, just valid the tag without any value ? bad idea.
> show the need that existing tag miss, not an "openbar" rational.

Possibly a 'service' key .. but not the word service as that is in too much use and maybe confused with other things?
However, the services offered will be limited by the equipment available so it maybe better to limit the tagging to that?
e.g. Dental_Engine, MRI, Xray, operating_theatre ???