[Tagging] Idea for a new tag: amenity=power_supply

Michael Brandtner brandtner_michael at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 22 08:20:45 UTC 2019

I've found this Wikipedia page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorepower

There is no shore power tag in OSM yet. But now I'm uncertain if we should also make a difference between shore power and power supply for other uses.

  Am Fr., Juni 21, 2019 at 14:21 schrieb Michael Brandtner via Tagging<tagging at openstreetmap.org>:   Hi,
I'm thinking about (and in fact, have already used about two times) a new tag: amenity=power_supply. It is meant for mapping places where you can get electrical power for a fee. They can be found at camping grounds and harbours. They have sockets you can use to get power and you can pay with a special card that you can buy at a shop (or maybe sometimes with credit cards or even coins, I'm not sure about that).

The tagging scheme for this wouldn't really be new. You create a node at the location of the machine, similar how we already map amenity=water_point. For additional information about sockets etc., the already established tag power_supply=* can be used.
Please note that this is not an amenity=charging_station. These devices are not meant for charging vehicles but for getting power for your boat or caravan while staying at a harbour or camping ground.
By the way, the tag is not my invention. At the moment, it is already used 56 times.

Do you think this is a good idea? I'd like to get your comments before starting an actual proposal process.
Michael